Monday, December 6, 2010

Does this mean I’m Yiddish

Yiddish
Image via Wikipedia



 Yiddish Language and Culture
I don’t know about you, but, I've always  used these WORDS. Does it, could it, mean, Yes I’m “ Mentsh “.

oy vey
Exclamation of dismay, grief, or exasperation. The phrase “oy vey iz mir” means “Oh, woe is me.” “Oy gevalt!” is like oy vey, but expresses fear, shock or amazement. When you realize you’re about to be hit by a car, this expression would be appropriate. 

  • shlemiel
    A clumsy, inept person, similar to a klutz (also a Yiddish word). The kind of person who always spills his soup.



  • shlimazel
    Someone with constant bad luck. When the shlemiel spills his soup, he probably spills it on the shlimazel. Fans of the TV sitcomLaverne and Shirley” remember these two words from the Yiddish-American hopscotch chant that opened each show.


  • ( Big fan )
    shlep
    To drag, traditionally something you don’t really need; to carry unwillingly. When people “shlep around,” they are dragging themselves, perhaps slouchingly. On vacation, when I’m the one who ends up carrying the heavy suitcase I begged my wife to leave at home, I shlep it
    Oh, and once again I thank Enhanced by ZemantaDaily Writing Tips

    No comments: